Apricot & Blueberry Semolina Cake
Apricot and Blueberry Semolina Cake
This yummy cake is gluten free, refined sugar free, and topped with lots of fresh fruit and berries. It tastes best eaten freshly and still slightly warm.
Prep and bake time: 1 hr
- 700ml almond milk
- a pinch of salt
- a grating of fresh nutmeg or a pinch of ground nutmeg
- 150g quick cook polenta
- 25g melted butter (unsalted)
- 2 Tbsp runny honey + extra to drizzle
- 50 g ground almonds
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 large apricots (or around 18-20 small apricots)
- 100g blueberries
- a sprig of rosemary, leaves picked
If you can’t get fresh fruit and berries, you can use tinned fruit and frozen berries. Just remember to defrost the berries in advance.
- Preheat your oven to 180 C (fan oven 160 C).
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Gently bring the milk to boil in a saucepan, being careful not to let it boil over.
- Add the polenta, salt and nutmeg and whisk well. Continue whisking and cooking until the semolina starts to thicken.
- Whisk in the butter, honey and ground almonds until well combined.
- Pour the mixture on to your prepared baking sheet, shaping it in to a rectangle (ca 20cm x 30cm).
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 mins until lightly golden.
- While your semolina base is baking, prepare your apricots. Cut the apricots in half and remove the stones, then fry them for around 3-5 minutes in a pan with a little vegetable oil until starting to soften. If you are using tinned fruit, you can skip the frying part.
- Once your base is ready, remove from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 200 C (fan oven 180 C).
- Arrange the apricot halves on top and scatter the blueberries in between.
- Drizzle with the extra honey and sprinkle the rosemary leaves on top.
- Return everything to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool before serving. Tastes really yummy served with Greek yoghurt or mascarpone.
Join EGG Today
Become a member of EGG and enjoy a heap of exclusive benefits. You’ll get access to Exclusive Offers, Events and your very own Digital Membership Card – use it to discover great places in Edinburgh and connect with like-minded girls.
£30 per year